Bigo Live is a live streaming platform and social media app that allows users to broadcast themselves live to an audience. It was developed by Singapore-based BIGO Technology and was particularly popular in regions like Southeast Asia and the Middle East.
Bigo Live was primarily available as a mobile app for smartphones and tablets, and it was compatible with both iOS and Android devices. It was also accessible through web browsers on a computer.
Bigo live Main Features:
- Live Streaming: Bigo Live allowed users to broadcast themselves live to an online audience. This live streaming feature was the core functionality of the app.
- Virtual Gifts: One of the main revenue sources for content creators on Bigo Live was the virtual gifting system. Viewers could purchase virtual gifts with real money and send them to broadcasters as a way to support them. Broadcasters could then convert these virtual gifts into real money.
- Social Networking: The app included social networking features that allowed users to follow, connect, and interact with other users on the platform. Users could follow their favorite broadcasters and receive notifications when they went live.
- Game Streaming: In addition to personal broadcasting, Bigo Live allowed users to stream their gameplay from mobile games. This feature was popular among gamers who wanted to share their gaming experiences with an audience.
- Virtual Currency: Bigo Live had its virtual currency, including Diamonds and Beans, which viewers could purchase and use to send gifts to broadcasters. Broadcasters could convert these virtual currencies into real money.
- Monetization Opportunities: Content creators on Bigo Live had various ways to monetize their broadcasts, including virtual gifts, ad revenue sharing, subscriptions, and more.
- Discoverability: The app had features that helped users discover new content and broadcasters, making it easier for new creators to gain exposure.
- Interaction: Viewers could interact with broadcasters through live chat, comments, and likes during the live streams, creating an interactive and engaging experience.
- Content Moderation: Bigo Live implemented content moderation policies and reporting mechanisms to ensure that the platform remained safe and free from inappropriate content.
History and Background:
Bigo Live is a live streaming platform developed by Singapore-based BIGO Technology. It was founded by a Singaporean entrepreneur named David Li in 2014. David Li had a background in the tech industry and launched BIGO Technology with the aim of creating innovative social and communication platforms.
Bigo Live was one of the company’s flagship products and was officially launched in March 2016. The platform gained popularity quickly, particularly in Asia and the Middle East, where live streaming and social networking apps were becoming increasingly popular.
The app allowed users to live stream themselves and interact with their audience through comments, gifts, and virtual currency. It also featured a virtual gifting system that allowed content creators to monetize their broadcasts.
Founder – David Li:
David Li is the founder and CEO of BIGO Technology, the company behind Bigo Live. He is known for his entrepreneurial spirit and vision in the tech and social media space. Under his leadership, BIGO Technology expanded its presence in multiple countries and grew Bigo Live into a widely recognized live streaming platform.
Bigo Live Earning Guide
Bigo Live provided several ways for users, particularly content creators, to earn money on the platform. Keep in mind that the specific methods and policies may have changed since then, so it’s essential to refer to the latest information and Bigo Live’s terms of service for the most accurate and up-to-date guidance. Here are some common ways users could earn money on Bigo Live:
Virtual Gifts: Virtual gifting is a primary source of income for many Bigo Live broadcasters. Viewers can purchase virtual gifts with real money and send them to their favorite streamers during live broadcasts. Content creators can then convert these virtual gifts into real money, with Bigo Live taking a percentage as a commission.
Diamonds and Beans: Bigo Live has its virtual currency called “Diamonds” and “Beans.” Viewers can purchase Diamonds using real money and use them to buy virtual gifts for broadcasters. Broadcasters can then exchange Diamonds and Beans for cash. Again, Bigo Live typically takes a percentage of these transactions.
Big Brother Program: Bigo Live introduced a “Big Brother Program” that allowed experienced broadcasters to mentor and guide new content creators. Big Brothers earn a share of their mentees’ revenue, which encourages experienced broadcasters to help newcomers succeed.
Partnerships and Sponsorships: Some popular broadcasters on Bigo Live may have the opportunity to collaborate with brands and companies for sponsorships and promotional activities. These partnerships can be a significant source of income.
Subscription-Based Income: Bigo Live introduced subscription-based income models where viewers can subscribe to their favorite broadcasters on a monthly basis. Subscribers pay a fee, and the broadcaster receives a portion of that subscription revenue.
In-App Purchases: Besides virtual gifts, viewers may purchase other in-app items and services, and content creators can earn a share of these transactions.
Host Competitions and Events: Bigo Live allows users to host and participate in various competitions and events. Some of these events may offer cash prizes to winners.
To start earning money on Bigo Live, you’ll need to become a content creator, build an audience, and engage with your viewers. Keep in mind that achieving significant earnings on the platform often requires a dedicated and consistent effort, as well as the ability to create content that resonates with your audience.
Lastly, always review Bigo Live’s terms of service, community guidelines, and monetization policies, as they may have specific requirements and restrictions related to earning money on the platform.
Pro’s and Con’s of Bigo Live App
Here’s a table outlining some of the pros and cons of Bigo Live:
|Pros of Bigo Live
|Cons of Bigo Live
|Wide User Base: Bigo Live had a large and diverse user base, offering a broad audience for content creators.
|Privacy Concerns: Like many social media platforms, there were privacy concerns related to sharing personal information and live streaming. Users needed to be cautious about their privacy settings.
|Monetization Opportunities: Content creators could earn money through virtual gifts, diamonds, beans, and other revenue-sharing options.
|Revenue Share: Bigo Live takes a percentage of the earnings made by content creators, which can reduce the amount of money they receive.
|Interactive Features: The platform offered interactive features like virtual gifting, chat, and live interaction with viewers, enhancing engagement.
|Content Moderation: Managing and moderating live chat and interactions could be challenging, and some content creators faced issues with inappropriate comments or behavior from viewers.
|User-Friendly Interface: Bigo Live provided a user-friendly and intuitive interface for both broadcasters and viewers.
|Competition: The platform had a high level of competition among content creators, making it challenging for new users to stand out and gain a following.
|Virtual Gifting System: The virtual gifting system allowed viewers to support their favorite broadcasters, providing an income source for content creators.
|Platform Stability: Technical glitches and occasional server issues could disrupt live streams and viewer experiences.
|Discovery and Exposure: The platform had features that helped users discover new content and broadcasters, promoting diversity in content.
|Inconsistent Content Quality: The quality of content could vary significantly, which may impact the overall viewer experience.
|Live Streaming Flexibility: Users could live stream a wide range of content, from gaming to lifestyle, catering to different interests.
|Content Restrictions: Bigo Live had guidelines and restrictions on certain types of content, which could limit creative freedom.
In conclusion, Bigo Live was a live streaming platform and social media app developed by BIGO Technology. It allowed users to broadcast themselves live, interact with viewers, and monetize their content through features like virtual gifting and ad revenue sharing. The platform had a wide user base, and content creators had various opportunities to earn money and build a following. However, it also faced privacy concerns, content moderation challenges, and competition among content creators.